MOVING FORWARD: OVERCOMING THE CHALLENGES OF LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST
TEXT: JOHN 16:33
I made bold steps to say that challenges are normal to living. Does that sound negative and different from what you believe? Well, that’s the truth of God’s word and the earlier you embrace it, the better for you. No matter how anointed or holy you are, the storms of life will attempt you, in a bid to discomfort you. To count storms strange when they come amount to submitting to defeat. 1 peter 12-14
DEFINITION OF TERMS
Overcoming – To prevail over, to subdue, to be victorious, and succeed in dealing with a problem or difficulty, to bring under control, to conquer, to overpower.
Challenges – The situation of being faced with something that needs great spiritual or physical effort in order to be done successfully and therefore tests a person’s ability.
YOUR ATTITUDE TO CHALLENGE
- Serving God and the interest of His kingdom offers unmatchable return.
- See serving God and the interest of His kingdom as lifestyle put us in command of all things.
- Don’t take offence in God despite the challenges of your life.
- See obstacles as a stepping stone to miracle.
- What you are ready to walk away from will determine what will walk into your life.
- Worship God, no matter the situation or circumstances you find yourself.
- Move forward, until you leave the place of mourning, you cannot find consolation
- Encourage yourself, don’t wait for people to encourage you. See God in adversity.
BIBLICAL TRUTH TO OVERCOME CHALLENGES
- Put aside sinful behaviors (Hebrew 12:1): we are faced with some challenges because of our sinful carnal choices that we are making. Because of the cross-believers are no longer chained to living in sin, we are free to walk away from sin by the power of the Holyghost. But it remains our choice to live a sinful life.
- Deal with the strongholds in your mind (2 Corinthians 10: 4-6 ): Some challenges that we deal with aren’t even real because we have let our fears, worries or lies from others keep us paralyzed from dealing with challenges.
- Trust in God for strength and wisdom to deal with the challenges (Isaiah 12:2): Many people will spend a lot of time trying to think and maneuver their way around challenges in their own strength. Perhaps they are blessed with high intelligence or wealth that can open many doors. We must depend on God for the strength and wisdom to overcome.
- Know that nothing is too hard for God (Jeremiah 32:27): When faced with challenges, it is easy to fall into the error of believing that the problem may be bigger than God. We must stand firm in the faith that God who is the Alpha and Omega is able to do all things.
- Recognize that God uses challenges for His purposes (Gen 50: 20): Challenges not only remind us of our weakness in and of ourselves, but they also are a reminder that God is in control. God has never promised us turbulent free journey but He has promised us safe landing.
HOW TO OVERCOME CHALLENGES OF LIFE THROUGH JESUS CHRIST
The Bible declares that Christ has made us free and we are to stand fast in freedom. (Gal 5:1, Col 1:13)
- Jesus Christ drove satan at the cross (John 12: 31-33): At the cross, the Lord formally expelled the devil.
- Satan was disarmed at the cross (Col 2:15): Jesus disarmed the power and authority of satan on the cross.
- Satan defeated at the cross: At the cross, satan and his cohorts were thoroughly defeated.
- Jesus enthroned at the cross (Eph 1: 19-22): The word of God says Jesus is the head of all principalities and powers. This means that Jesus is not just the head of the church alone.
- Believers are empowered by the cross (Matt 28:18): Calvary has conferred every believer great authority, a sort of power of attorney to do what Christ Himself did while on earth.
WAYS TO OVERCOME CHALLENGES
Focus on God’s power rather than on the size of your problem: No matter how big your “wall” seems as it looms over your life, be assured that you can shrink it down until it falls down completely when you trust God to help you overcome it (Ps 55:22).
- Trust in God’s plan even when it doesn’t make sense: God’s plan for your life might seem unconventional and mysterious from your limited perspective. But whenever you decide to trust God’s plan, you can count on God to deliver on His promise to bring all of your circumstances – even the toughest challenges together to accomplish good purposes.
- See the supernatural in all situations and pursue holiness: Ask the Holyspirit to help you recognize the extraordinary ways that God is working in all of the ordinary situation in your life. Place your relationship with God at the centre of your life and invite God to empower you as you practice spiritual disciplines such as prayer, Bible reading and worship in the church regularly (1 peter 1: 6-9).
- Surround yourself with other believers committed to the same goal: Other Christians who are also working to overcome their own challenges can lift up your spirit, remind you of the truth, and cheer you on toward achieving your goal.
- Usher in blessings by observing Gods instruction every step of the way: Expect God to reward you for your faithful obedience along the journey of overcoming your challenges. When you obey God in small ways, God will lead you to a greater level of faith and responsibility, so that you will keep growing spiritually and able to move forward to victory over the challenges in your life (Proverbs 3: 5-8).
- Get ready for a season of joy: Seek to learn fromall of the valuable lesson that God wants to teach you as your wall of challenges gradually breakdown. Confident that at the end of your journey, you will experience a season of Joy.
It may look as if God has forgotten you when you find yourself in challenges of life. Keep hope alive because you will soon rejoice. Your height is determined by your heart and a good heart is never offended in God. Don’t focus on what God didn’t do in answer to your prayer, but think of what He did when you did not pray.